I am hooked on a new TV show. It's called The Unit.

Simply put, it's about an elite top secret military based on a book Inside Delta Force written by Eric L. Haney. That's the same guy who was the technical advisor for the movie Spartan. So if you liked that movie, I probably don't have to say much more to get you going.

However, The Unit is a very good show. It has action and all the tension every average guy enjoys. And if you're not the average guy, there are some hot men in the show too. I had to mention that because every girl I recommended the show to has asked about that. Me, I watched it and got hooked because I love the plot.

It's about the men who go out and risk their lives for their country yet get no acknowledgement for it. It's particularly sickening when they do all that and they go home to other men or women making fun of them being 'military clerks'. What they do is so top-secret that that is the cover they are all given.

The show also goes into the lives of these men's wives. Namely, the secrets they have to resist asking about and the secrets they themselves keep. I just love how they keep their husbands' secret even at the expense of their own well-being. They sacrifice unquestioningly. And they allow their husbands to keep their pride, even without being asked. It's just common sense. When you love someone enough, you show it by helping them keep their pride. What have you got to prove in shredding a guy's pride in public? Oh, these women show their own strengths in many other ways.

Deep down, I want to be like these wives. I have always believed that what happens between a husband and wife should be kept between them only. And what happens between a guy and his job or his personal life should be kept with him. One quote from the show - "There's my married life and my personal life." I thought it was hilarious.

There are some scenes where the newbie (played by Scott Foley) and his wife (played by Audrey Marie Anderson) are still getting used to the Unit way of life. And his wife (Kim) keeps asking what it is he does and where his missions are. It was so frustrating. Kinda potrays how some women just don't know when to stop asking or shut up! Until, of course, she was told how what she knows could get her husband killed so she was better off not knowing.

The commanding officer is Colonel Tom Ryan (played by Robert Patrick) and the team leader is Jonas Blane (played by Dennis Haysbert). Jonas's wife is Molly Blane (played by Regina Taylor). I want to be Molly. Especially Season 1 Molly. She's so in control and is able to get things moving with hardly any effort. I'm halfway to being like her but I sometimes gets flustered by stupid things or people I encounter along the way.

The show is now in its third season. Shook and I have watched the first two. I got Nuril hooked onto it too. I told her the basic storyline and she was curious enough to try it. Then she declared Scott Foley as hawt and that was that. So if a 14 year-old likes it, I wonder why adults cannot. Then again, some adults I know don't like these kind of shows. Probably too heavy for their mental capabilities.

While watching this show, I understood a lot of the things my father has been teaching me all these years. One is his obsession with family meals and all that. I guess if you've fought in a war, you tend to treasure family and the time you spent with them. The other is when he says a man's handphone is his personal property. Sometimes there are things there which his wife need not know of. In this day and age, a man's privacy is pretty limited. So what does he have left if not his handphone? I guess that's why I always ask Shook if I can answer his phone for him or even read any incoming messages. What I don't know, I cannot tell about. Another thing I realised is that a hysterical and/or self-centred female can get very annoying and sickening. There is one character in the show. She's only happy when her guy got lots of money for her to spend. The moment he got a problem, she bailed out on him. Bitch!

The show is really worth it. I'm now trying to decide whether I want to start downloading Season 3 or wait for the DVD to come out. With this writers' strike in Hollywood, who knows what will happen next. But I heartily recommend the first two seasons especially if you're into military no-nonsense drama.

Comments (0)