Please correct me if I am wrong in my perception.

Also, please don't think I am not sympathetic. I am always saddened by the loss of lives and even more saddened by the fact that greed overcame caution.

However, I cannot understand why a massive fundraising was carried out to assist those who lost their homes in the Bukit Antarabangsa incident. I mean, even the spokesperson admitted that these were the elite living in an elite area. Why then are we, the common people, being asked to donate money to them? Am I supposed to believe that the loss of their homes means the loss of everything they have? That they don't have high-paying jobs and maybe offshore accounts or even another house somewhere?

It also rather annoys me that these fundraisers went to Parliament and managed to get thousands of ringgit from the MPs there. And yet, I still hear stories about how some MPs pretend not to be at home when their own constituents come calling for assistance. So, they only help their own kind then?

It just bugs me how those truly in need have to go begging for assistance while the elite only had to lose one home and maybe (heaven forbid!) one car or two and tens of thousands of ringgit come rolling in?

I understand that we want to help our fellow Man but why are we helping the rich while the poor suffer? And why such a massive fundraising for them yet nothing for those two children who earlier died in a similar landslide? Probably because they were not of the elite group? I really would like some help in understanding this.

Comments (0)