I was reading about the two little girls who were killed in a landslide and my knee-jerk reaction was to penalise those loggers and quarry operators. I might even blame the person who agreed to build that house.

You see, the landslide is said to could have been caused by the heavy rain. Yet, for as long as I've studied Science and Geography, I know that vegetation holds soil together to avoid such landslides. If these vegetation had been allowed to grow in that area, the landslide would neevr have happened, would it?

According to the news article, the authorities are not ruling out logging and quarry activities. If you know that these could have indirectly caused these deaths, shouldn't it be a sign of stricter laws? I know that money makes the world go round but we're getting a bit stupid about it, aren't we? I'm pretty sure if you ask any lawyer, negligence would be an issue here. Shouldn't these companies be made responsible for such incidents? If we continue to allow this to happen, aren't we saying human lives mean very little nowadays?

I am aware that in reality there are many things we cannot avoid. However, can't we take steps to minimise the damage? It's just not right that a parent outlive their children.

Comments (0)