Could someone tell me if there are any copyright issues or even issues of any kind in regards to a story that has been published online e.g. on a blog?

I thought I once read somewhere that it can be difficult to get a story published once it has been posted online. I might be wrong but I really would like some clarification.

This question is the reason I stopped posting any stories I wrote. I am actually elbow-deep in two stories of different genres. I posted part of one online but I stopped after reading something about copyright issues somewhere. I just can't remember where now.

So I'm afraid to post anything. I'm worried that I might one day take up my father's offer to publish my stories and discover that I can't do so.

Comments (3)

On Friday, April 03, 2009 2:53:00 am , Gette said...

Publishers are just less likely to publish stuff that can be found for free online... unless you're a super popular blogger or something.

 
On Saturday, April 04, 2009 11:20:00 pm , thewisekid said...

there's also somewhere i read which said that you can have copyright reserved on everything you published on your blog/online.

like you, i don't remember where i read that.

i've published many short stories on my blog too. geez~

 
On Sunday, April 05, 2009 9:11:00 pm , Raven said...

That's the script I forgot to get! The copyright thing. Thanks for reminding me, Angelita.

Gette, I'll be the last one who ends up being a super popular blogger. No plans whatsoever to be that way :)