I am an odd person. (And before some smarty pants decides to crack a joke about it, hear me out first!)

I have had my eye on Amazon's Kindle 2 for awhile now. Over the weekend, I decided to seriosuly look into it and discovered that they are not available outside the US. So I began to look at other alternatives. I then remembered I have a PDA sitting around doing nothing so I decided to use it as my ebook reader. I'm looking into Mobipocket and it's very appealing.

However, I have discovered a reluctance within myself to purchase anything. It's not even expensive. The books I want range between $5.99 - $14.99. The cheapest is $2.99. All these are way, way cheaper than any book I can find here or online. Yet, I hesitate.

I know I love the feel of a physical book in my hands. And everyone looks more intellectual reading a book than reading a PDA. After all, I could be playing games on a PDA! And even an idiot looks smart reading a book.

Yet the upside of an ebook is that no matter how thick the book is, the PDA will never vary in weight and size. It's cheaper to purchase. And I only need to store it on my PC or the PDA. I don't need shelves anymore.

I did consider getting audiobooks. I tried it with Richard Marcinko once a long, long time ago. He writes about the Navy Seals. He created the Seal teams. Trust me, when he speaks, it's monotonous. I love his books but his reading could put me to sleep. And he did, halfway through my favourite of his books.

Then I recently tried Paul of Dune. I love the Dune series. I read an excerpt of Paul and I liked it despite it not being written by Frank Herbert himself but by his son. So I figured if I liked what was written surely I can tolerate when it's being read. And surely not everyone sounds like Richard Marcinko.

I was right on account of the reader not sounding like Marcinko. But I forgot my ADD tendencies. Audiobooks officially make me restless. I not only space out but I also fall asleep. I even tried listening to samples on Audible. Didn't work. I got bored within 10 seconds.

So, now that audiobooks are not an option, I'm looking into ebooks.

I need to think about this some more.

Comments (1)

On Monday, April 06, 2009 3:27:00 pm , meyer said...

J reads some books on his phone... and you're right about it being constant in weight and size... but there's just something about physically turning the pages that i just love... weird... i know...