So I went out and bought myself a new graphics card. Nothing too flashy. Just the NVidia 9800 GT. Pretty inexpensive at about RM569, I think. Only thing is it requires a bigger power supply as my current one is only running at 350 watts. The card needs at least a 550watts power supply. So I'll do that tomorrow.

I also got a 2Gb RAM so my pc is currently running on 3 Gigs of RAM and a 4Gb Kingston thumbdrive. It was pretty and I do need one to replace my old yellow mini fun thumbdrive which died on me last week. It was also on sale at RM69. The original price was RM119, if I'm not mistaken.

I did manage to test the new graphics card but didn't dare try it out for too long. I was worried about the power supply. But the weird psychedelic colours and strange Sims in black and white are not due to the card. I do believe now it's because of the missing data from the installation process. So I'll wait until my original copy arrives tomorrow and try it again.

Oh, I met Alvin and Jerome at Saberkas and when I told them about the Sims 3 I'm getting, Vinnie asked what language it was in. I told him that since it's an original, I could most likely find the language pack somewhere if it turns out to be in a Middle Eastern language and not English.

Photo courtesy of adorama.com

Comments (2)

On Tuesday, June 09, 2009 10:07:00 am , mac said...

I have a 9800 GT too. Very nice. Powerful and can run most things on full or nearly full detail. What's the size of your monitor?

I'm also running it with 350 watts and so far it works quite well. Very2 rarely, my PC would suddenly shut down by itself when I'm playing. I'm not sure whether it's because of lack of power or overheating.

Your Sims 3 should be in English. If I recall correctly, there is no localised Middle Eastern version.

 
On Wednesday, June 10, 2009 10:41:00 pm , Raven said...

My monitor is about 17 inches, I think.

You know how my area is prone to brownouts so I got a bigger power supply just to be safe. I just got a Gigabyte 720 watt power supply today for about RM300+. It's heavy but the cables are all neat and tidy.

The Sims is in English and the guide book included is in dual language. And the stuff I could download are pretty too. The launcher is way different from our dubious version. The disadvantage as usual is I have to put the DVD in the drive every time.