Shook and I went to the KFC at Sarawak Plaza tonight to get our dinner. When we walked in, I thought at first that KFC suddenly decided to get organised and create queue lines for people to adher to. Then I saw the sign. Challenge championship in progress. Or something like that. I can't remember the exact words; only that it was a challenge of some sort.

Well, they set up 2 lines out of 3 for that. Apparently, it's a challenge where some people had signed up much earlier with orders and the challengers had to compete on who can complete the orders within either an amount of time or within the shortest time.

My rant though is not this. My rant is the girl behind the only available counter left. I suspect that since there was a customer service competition going on,this girl decided that she had to be extra extra competent. So for the first time in my life in Malaysia, I had a fast food server greet me ultra nicely and introduce herself to me. The thing is she spoke so fast as if she was in a race. Then she proceeded to take our orders.

Tonight, I finally realised just how very very patient Shook is with these people. Hey, I work in a service industry too. I just happen to realise the difference between being helpful and sounding dumb. The girl asked Shook if he wanted the drinks at an added value. He said no. I shook my head and she saw me. After she confirmed our orders verbally, she asked again. He said no again. When she took our money and confirmed the order once more, she again asked if we wanted the drink.

Now at this point, 2 things got on my nerves. One was her forced perkiness. The second one was the overzealous effeminate person playing the customer in the next row. I can take perkiness. I find natural perkiness almost cute. But forced perkiness makes me want to take a gun and either shoot the perk or shoot myself.

By now, my nerves were on edge. After the 3rd 'Would you like the drinks for an extra RM1 with your order?', I snapped. I looked her in the face and said, "No, we only want our orders. No drinks. Just our meals. Thank you." Quite curtly too.

Needless to say, she lost some of her perkiness. Which told me there and then how forced it was in the first place. Naturally perky people don't lose their perkiness in the face of adversity. In fact, half the time they don't even notice the adversity. The other half of the time, they just laugh the adversity away anyway.

Besides, have you ever met a perky person who gets depressed? I have yet to meet one and I know a lot of naturally perky people.

And another thing is that everyone behind the counter looked like they went on a rampage in the make-up department. There were a lot of Raggedy Anns and Raggedy Andys there.

Comments (0)