People wonder why some businesses lose favour and go out of business....

One annoying thing which happened today was Selera Assam Payak over at Satok Road. All I can say about that place is that the food is good but the service is just plain horrible. I'm used to waiters not smiling at me and I'm used to them being curt and monosyllabic. But I am not used to waiters who mumble and eat leftovers out of the customers' plates before the customer is even out of the door! And the waiters laugh and smile among themselves but give us sour looks. This, too, is pretty normal here in Kuching. Heaven forbid that they be nice to the people who pay their salaries!! And this was lunchtime. Which only means that...don't go there for dinner!!

That, fortunately, was the only anoying thing. After lunch, I went with the family to
Coffee Bean. As usual, we were laughing and smiling when we walked in. Unlike at Assam Payak, we got responding smiles at Coffee Bean. (I find this funny since Assam Payak is actually the name of a very sour food additive). Anyway, as we were leaving Coffee Bean, the guy behind the counter actually said, "Thank you. Carnival Male."

I looked at him and laughed because the Carnival Male incident happened 2 weeks ago! Coffee Bean has a drink called Carnival Mate. Being myopic that I am, I thought the board said 'Carnival Male' and I asked what it was. The guy behind the counter that night was the same behind the counter today! We had a good laugh about it that night. And he apparently still remembers the silly incident!

The thing is, it's little things like this which promote customer loyalty. The workers need to know what is appropriate to remember and what is not. Coffee Bean has my vote as long as they keep the cool guys that they currently have at the Sarawak Plaza branch. Also, at the rate that I am going there with my friends for meetups, the Coffee Bean guys are going to have more incidents to remember about us all.

Comments (0)