After many years of avoiding the clubbing night life, I was finally talked (coerced?) into going clubbing on Friday night.

So, with a few colleagues - the only few I trust enough to call friends - I went to Victoria Arms at Merdeka Palace. The reason for the outing was to celebrate the birthday of one of those colleagues.

Despite being given the afternoon off, I still had to spend Friday afternoon running around helping a colleague to get things for the school library. I got home only at 5.45 p.m. which gave me just enough time to shower, wash my hair and dry my hair before I had to run out again to go get my colleague from a dinner function. As luck would have it, my parents asked me to send them to their dinner function first and I had to do it because my sister has got this problem with keeping time properly. But that's for another rant altogether.

Anyway, my colleague and I got to VA at about 8 p.m. which gave us just one hour to fill ourselves with free flow cocktails. After finding the others, we sat down and started drinking. I met so many ladies from all walks of life. That night, I was surrounded by women who definitely knew how to have fun without being loud or sleazy. We drank and talked and laughed and since there were only ladies there, everyone let their hair down and just enjoyed themselves.

By 9 p.m. I had already downed close to 10 drinks in quick succession and I had a little buzz going. As far as buzzes go, this one was like being bothered by a bee in springtime and not at all like the swarm during Gawai.

We were sitting in the area just next to the bar counter so I was able to watch the people who were staying close to the bar. There were these two men who look to be in their late 40s, who were definitely there in the hopes of getting lucky. Well, they got what they wanted because they were just buying drinks for every girl who went near them. At one point, one of them had his hands all over a young girl who look to be in her mid-twenties. And she kept looking at us as if to stake her claim on him. I felt like going up to her and say that I'm not so desperate that I have to go after a man at least twice my age but I wasn't drunk enough to be nasty. I felt almost sick to my stomach to see the man groping her and trying to get her drunk. Then she brought her friend over for the man's friend to start groping. I saw all this only because they were standing right in front of us!

The band played some very good dancing music so we went out to the dance floor and danced our hearts out. Some colleagues who didn't think I was the sort who can dance got a bit of a shock when they saw me dancing that night! One of them even said I'd catch the dancing bug once I started going out with them. Unlike them, I was never deprived because I once spent 3 whole months clubbing non-stop when I was in the US and 1 month getting drunk every night. So when I'm in Kuching, I stay away from clubs by choice because the clubs here don't play good music.

Anyway, the band played some really good songs so we had a blast. I'd go again but only with the right group of girls. Since I've been home, I don't go because the girls I knew went to places like that to either look for guys to screw or to make caustic comments of other people. That, or they go there only to sit and talk and if you drag them to dance, they'll make fun of your dancing or tell you that you're embarrassing them. So, I didn't go dancing with them.

Or maybe it's because they're annoyed that I tend to sashay a lot when I dance. You know the dance they called 'dirty dancing' in the 80s? That's how I dance. I learnt this from my clubbing days in the US. It was the dance you did with the guy you want to have sex with...except I didn't have sex. I just danced it then I walked away.

So I had fun. The smell of smoke went clear through to the roots of my hair but I had fun. I'd go again but only with selected company and not every week. And since I get bored very quickly, I know not to go too often.

But for only RM5 and free flow of your choice of cocktails, it was rather worth it. So yeah, I'd go. But only if the band plays songs like 'Sweet Child of Mine' and 'YMCA' as they did on Friday night. Haha!!

Comments (0)