I just got back from watching V for Vendetta.

The movie is spectacular. I love it! I'll most probably buy the DVD when it comes out. My students will most probably hate it because there's lots of talk and not much action.

The dialogue was very good especially the monologue in the beginning. Herbert's Alison loved it because there were quotes from Shakespeare every now and again. I'm not sure how Nick's Dulcy felt about it because my focus at the end was to get home. But I get the impression that Dulcy is into horror and comedy flicks. She agreed with me on how Final Destination 3 was by far the goriest of the trilogy and she probably thought I was such a kid to be afraid of horror movies. But I explained to her that it's my imagination taking over where the movie left off that gets to me and not the movie itself. She looked like she wanted to laugh at me but didn't dare. Heck, I'd laugh at myself for being that silly.

The best part of the evening was when Shook greeted Herbert in their usual style and Alison actually looked scared. I think she did expect Shook to kiss Herb and she looked at me since she knew I had walked in with Shook. But I laughed it off and told her I've known it for a while and it's an ongoing joke among us now.

I told them to expect The Omen on June 6th and can you believe the girls didn't know what it was about?! Then again, even Nick looked perplexed. So maybe it's a you-had-to-be-born-at-that-time thing or you have to be a big movie nut. So I had to explain that to them too.

But V for Vendetta is a must-see. Despite the long narrative and constant talking, it was a great movie. It's a good movie for anyone who has ever joked that everything happens in the US to the US. This time, it's London, baby, and it's Big Ben!

I'd like to read the comic books so if anyone has it, please let me know. I don't mind if it's in soft copy or hard copy. I just want to read the whole series. And to see how far the movie differs from the comic books.


Remember, remember, the fifth of November,
gunpowder treason and plot.
I see no reason why the gunpowder treason should ever be forgot.

Guy Fawkes, Guy Fawkes,
'twas his intent to blow up the King and the Parliament.

Three score barrels of powder below,
Poor old England to overthrow: By God's providence he was catch'd
With a dark lantern and burning match.

Holloa boys, holloa boys, make the bells ring.
Holloa boys, holloa boys, God save the King!

Hip hip hoorah! A penny loaf to feed the Pope.
A farthing o' cheese to choke him.
A pint of beer to rinse it down.
A faggot of sticks to burn him.

Burn him in a tub of tar.
Burn him like a blazing star.
Burn his body from his head.
Then we'll say ol' Pope is dead.
Hip hip hoorah! Hip hip hoorah

Comments (0)