I have been a huge fan of the musical since I first heard of it when I was in lower secondary. I can't remember exactly how I got to know about it. All I remember was that I went to the British Council just to borrow the soundtrack and made copies of every tape (there were 2!). Back then, a double deck stereo was a marvel much less a CD writer!
When my parents first listened to the soundtrack in the car, they both asked why I was listening to some mad music! My sister started crying because she was scared of the music. So it was evident then that I was the only one who could appreciate opera in my home.
The last time I saw this as a movie, it was the 1989 version starring Robert Englund. It was not too bad but really, really diverted away from the book by Gaston Leroux.
When I found out that Joel Schumacher was directing a 2004 version of the movie, I was excited. Then I calmed down because I didn't think that it would be shown here. Then, when I was at Star Cineplex, I saw the poster for Andrew Lloyd Webber's The Phantom Of The Opera, I went insane right there and then! I decided that I was going to go watch that movie by hook or by crook.
I was with my boyfriend at that time, who reminded me of what Joel Schumacher did to Batman in Batman and Robin. This bummed me out for a while but I am still determined to go watch that movie.
All I need now is someone to go with. And even if I don't find anyone interested in it, I'd still go myself! Just to see if good ole' Joel does the musical justice, if for nothing else.
The movie is scheduled to be out on 22 December 2004. If I am not mistaken, Star has it listed down for 28 December. In the meantime, go check out the offical website. It has a match-the-lyrics game which is really interesting if you're a fan. However, if you're not a fan of Phantom, the website gives you an idea of what to expect in the movie itself. Other than that, I could always go dig up my soundtrack again and drive everyone in my home insane with all those high notes and soprano bits. And since it's rainy season, nobody can blame me for the rain! :)

Comments (0)