It's that time of the year again. This is when everyone either gets excited or melancholy. The excited ones are planning, plotting and excitedly looking forward to a night of fun, laughter and debauchery. I hope they also plan where they're going to pass out safely.

The melancholic, either by choice or circumstances, stay home with close family and relatives for the night. The circumstances could be they are very good and have goody friends or they have no life. The choice would be they did not want to be out on the road where there is a very high chance of getting terrorised by wannabe-cool motorcyclists who think they are on the set of the movie Torque. Also, everyone in Kuching knows how horrible it is to be out and about town on New Year's Eve.

As for me, it's a bit of both. Circumstances-wise, I know of no party or debauchery to which I have been invited to. And even if I were invited, I still would choose not to go. I think I'm all partied out. I was introduced to the concept of parties, in the true sense of the word, while I was in the United States. This was way before September 11. I lived in a house with 7 other Americans. Therefore, as soon as Thursday evenings came by, we'd drive to the nearest party store and buy whatever alcohol we wanted. We lived in a big house, by students standards. A 7-room house was big especially since everyone else we knew were in dorms or apartments!

So we partied almost every weekend. And why Thursdays? Because we all arranged never to have classes on Mondays and Fridays. I kept this schedule the entire 3 years I was there. If we didn't party in the house, we walked down to the bar called Bourbon Street. Everyone wanted to get into Bourbon Street because you had to be 21 years old to get in. Hey! We were in university. This was a big deal!

Then there were Halloweens, fraternity parties, birthdays, Homecoming and just about any celebration anyone can think of. I have this funny feeling that the only celebrations that found us sober were Thanksgiving and Christmas! And there was a time when I got heartbroken and went drinking every night for a whole month. Got plastered every night in that month too. Once had this drink called Goldshlager. It was 87 proof schnapps with flakes of gold in the bottle. It was pretty lethal for schnapps! We played a drinking game using Uno cards and I had to stop after the 9th shot when my Uno cards became purple. I passed out to the sound of Rush's Bastille Day. I still have the CD somewhere.

So sometime after I came back here, I went to another party once. I was warned that these parties were always wild so I was expecting the worst. Then I realised these people didn't even begin to know the word 'wild'. The guests were 'children' between the ages of 18 to 24. It wasn't the age that mattered but the mentality. Their priority was to get laid not to have fun. Although for some people, it was one and the same.

So I gave up on parties in Kuching. The only drinks I had since being home were 13 shots of tequila while with some friends at one time and the lethal mixtures Shook concocts with Coke and Jack Daniels. Do not go near that man when he mixes! Most of all, make sure he doesn't hate you because he can kill with those things! Hey! I may be in love but I ain't blind!

So now, I pick and choose my parties. I figured I can be choosy or fussy. Besides, I would only go if Shook went so that I can avoid the "Where's Shook?" questions.

So everyone...happy New Year. Be safe. Despite all tragedies near and far, life still has to go on and we cope in any way we can.

Comments (0)