I was watching an episode of Monk today at Shook's house. It was the episode where Monk's brother shows up for the first time and Monk reluctantly assists his brother with a problem. Well, there was one bit where Sharona was looking at a family picture and Monk, his brother and his parents were standing at least three feet apart from each other. Apparently, this was an unusual picture because normally, according to Monk, they would never come that close to each other.

Sometimes, it's scenes like these in shows that make you think. I realise that some shows you need to watch without thinking too much. Other shows, you need to watch with a little more thought because it's obvious they're trying to say something.

It took my mind back to incidents when I try to give advice to my friends or even my students. I've always been involved in counselling people although I never received training in any way. When i first began working in a school, I decided to take some courses in counselling. It was a relief to realise that I'd been doing the right thing all along. However, the one thing I always had to remember was never to impose my principles on the people I was helping out. What works for me might not work for them.

So as much as I wanted to help them with a working formula, I realise part of giving advice was to help them realise the potential within themselves to solve their own problems. I know that some people seem to consider a certain course of action to be very effective. My only problem with this is that it might work for you. But if you don't take time out to understand my situation, how would you know that the same method would be effective for me?

That's like telling me that, since ignoring your parents worked for you, it has to work for me with my parents as well.

Oh, and the other thing also is that, if you want me to show concern for you, then you had better start showing some degree of concern for me too. Don't be so selfish. Or as Will says it, "I'm selfish. Not prawn, not octopus, not fish but shellfish." Will was kinda 'happy' at that time.

Don't get me wrong. I don't want my boyfriend to fawn over me or anything. In fact, Shook is doing a very good job at being a great boyfriend. I consider him the awesomest of awesome boyfriends. He knows when to give and when to take. Above all, he knows when to show concern and when not to. He's a teenager's nightmare as a boyfriend, but for me, he's perfect; tainted armour and all. I love him more for his tainted armour.

Comments (0)