We Malaysians are so well known for our tolerance that we seem like weaklings to a certain point.

I must say that I myself would much, much rather give in than pursue a fight unless the fight is about something which just insults my integrity or my principles. Then I see red and retaliate on instinct. But a lot of times, I still think of the person I'm angry with and then I choose whether to give in and walk away from the argument or tough it out and risk breaking their noses. Well, I did once lift up my housemate with one hand and throw him down the stairs because my principles didn't allow me to call him a bastard (in deference to his lovely mother) and calling him a jerk or an asshole was too mild for him.

Anyway, my point is, while some of us may be very considerate to other people's feelings and comfort, others, unfortunately, are not as kind.

Especially when it comes to religious matters.

I, for one, love the sound of bells ringing from the St. Thomas's Cathedral. I am calmed by the sound of the azan (the Muslim call for prayers). I am even fascinated by the sound of prayer bells being touched at an Indian temple and those tok-tok sounds from a Buddhist temple.

What I cannot understand, much to my dismay, is my slow simmer of anger at the temple behind my house karaoke-ing until wee hours of the night under the guise of religious occassions. If their purpose is to chase away the ghosts, then I think they have more than achieved their aims by way of their tuneless yowlings and drunken cheering.

I am most tolerant of religious sounds but tuneless singing is enough to test my patience.

Comments (0)