An attitude was brought to me last night which I actually found more offensive than I thought. At the time, I saw it as a joke on the offensive person. After feeling my way around it, I now realise that I'm really offended.

It wasn't so much the way it was delivered or the message that was delivered. It was more of the attitude of the person delivering the message. In this sense, my pride was nudged and I just find it worth maiming for.

I pride myself in thinking that I'm pretty smart. Sometimes, I let my guard down and zone out not because I don't understand but more because the people I'm interacting with take too long to get to the point. I never denied having a very, very short attention span. I know that there is a chance I have ADD but I never bothered to get any sort of confirmation. I just know that when someone speaks too slowly or takes too long to make sense or get to the point, I actually switch off or get distracted. Rather cat-like, really.

And because my brain moves much, much faster than my hand or mouth can keep up, I tend to either scribble a lot or stutter a little. My stuttering is not a sign of dumbness but more of my brains hitting the brakes to wait for my mouth to catch up. And I need to do this because when I was young, people had to remind me countless times to slow down when I speak.

So when some schmuck comes along and hints to me that he thinks I am dumb, I get a bit peeved. I get offended when said person has a hard time comprehending any word that has more than 3 syllables in it. I am now offended enough to tell Shook about all this and then let him take over for me. Although I can and do keep up with Shook even at his most elitist, my brain moves too fast for my mouth to follow. Shook slows his down well enough to make the person listening look like they have an IQ of less than 25!

Despite the fact that I do hold 3 degrees (which is 3 more than offensive numbnut has!), I am first to acknowledge the fact that I have a lot to learn and that there are smarter people out there.

I also safely acknowledge the fact that I do come from an old family that use to own a quarter of Kuching. (I think the other 3 quarters were owned by Bernard's, Rin's and Shah's families) My family owned most of the Green Road area where I live now. My father's family brought Islam to Sarawak and ruled over a good chunk of Borneo and parts of the Middle East, my mom's family were advisors to the Brooke family. We had money when money was scarce, especially during the Japanese occupation. My grandfather had the 15th car in Kuching. Our house had tarred roads when other people had gravel. I grew up being told that I am royalty by virtue of my ancestry within my religion. My family has a pew in the Anglican church. My family dabbled in politics since before the current politicians even thought of being politicians.

If I wanted to be a snob, I can be. The thing is I chose not to be. Because my parents brought me up the right way. I also set a high standard for myself and I try to live up to that standard.

The last thing I need is a Mr Bigmouth from Nowheresville in Hickstown to tell me I'm stupider than he is. You can criticise my weight and my looks and my built. But don't even think of criticising my intelligence. I'm smart enough to know when to speak, when to shut up and when to play blonde.

Dipstick just flaps his lid with no thought at all. Explains why he is with the one he is.

Comments (0)