That was one of the best songs in that movie! The movie was so dark literally and figuratively but that song made it so much fun.

I know Gette kept warning about the cuts but she was just preparing people for the worst, in my opinion. The cuts, literally and figuratively again, occured the most in only one song. And even then, I found them very tolerable despite the fact that I'm always first to criticise them. Hey! I was in the US which has very, very little censorship compared to a lot of countries, even Western and Westernised ones.

Oh yeah, the cuts. Because Sweeney Todd was a very swift cutter (for want of a better word!), the censorship hardly lasted more than one word. Some of it was half a word. Johnny Depp would start singing the word 'star' and only the first half of the sung word would disappear for a very split second. So he ended up sounding like 'St...ar!' Only an idiot would not figure out what he just sang.

But, as far as I am concerned, Sweeney Todd was a good movie. Now that one I will call good. This was a slasher flick plus musical. Only thing is I don't enjoy slasher flicks because it's mindless killing. It's like a child with a temper tantrum. If you like slasher flicks, you might find the singing disturbing. If you like musicals, the slashing might be disturbing. But put them together and Sweeney Todd is morbid fascinating entertainment.

I'll wait for the original DVD to watch it again not because of the censorship (it was a blink-and-you'll-miss'the-censorship thing too!) but because I know there are other songs in the original stage musical and I'd love it if they have deleted singing scenes.

I hope Misato, who went with us, will agree to do some of the songs with us. Even if she might never eat pies again.


Listening to: The Worst Pies In London - Helena Bontham Carter - Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber Of Fleet Street OST

Comments (0)