The cadets at Shook's academy were introduced or re-introduced to Top Gun some months back. By Shook, of course.

Regardless of the fact that this is the movie that got me all gooey over pilots and even more buttery over Tomcats. F-14s I think they are. I know. I'm lousy with technicalities but I know I love those jets and that's all there is to it.

Now, the closest I've been to being the Kelly McGillis character is to be a teacher myself. I once contemplated getting a pilot's license but, let's face it. I lack the tenacity and drive Shook has. I'll get bored and distracted and probably bail out halfway.

When I met Shook, he was a share analyst. I thought that was probably one of the most boring jobs ever but I was attracted to the man not his job. When I found out he wanted to take a pilot's license, I was impressed. I didn't figure he wanted to make a career out of it. 8 years later and look at where we are now.

Anyway, back to his cadets.They look up to him even while they are wary of him. I have seen them. They keep a respectful distance and Shook could give them a monosyllabic reply to any of their questions and they scatter. It's funny yet weird to see.

Before I digress further, his cadets have watched Top Gun, I think, more than 3 times. I said I think because 3 times is what Shook notices. They probably have watched it more than that many times. Now some of them fantasise being Top Gunners when they're flying.

The thing that occured to me today is that all it needs is one of them to try and find a female instructor and try to complete the whole fantasy. He would be Maverick then. If I were teaching there and single, I'd be wary.

The fact that I have a low regard for the instructors is beside the point right now. Some of them have no professional ethics at all. Heck, they have Shook doing some of their work for them! Which educators creed did they pick that up from?!

But the instructors are a whole different story. I wish I could go in and lecture them a bit about ethics and professional decency. But my post is about the cadets, not the instructors. If it were about the instructors, you can be sure it'd be a rant. So I won't go into it.

Not yet.


Listening to: Pukul Tiga Pagi - P Ramlee

Comments (0)