Whenever Shook comes home, we always go visit the site where our new house is being built. When I first saw it go up, I thought the place was cosy and small. Now that they've cleared up most of the rubble, I have come to realise that our house is huge.

It looks relatively small from the outside but the kitchen and dining room takes on the entire back part of the house. Our master bedroom is the entire upper left wing of the house and the living room is right under our master bedroom. Every room is going to be air-conditioned and my dad wants us to go furniture shopping in KL as soon as the house is about to finish. My mom aims to make Ikea one very happy store after we walk out of it then. We also have two bedrooms upstairs for our children. One room downstairs is tentatively planned to be a game-TV room. The other small room is supposed to be a servant's quarters but I don't myself being comfortable with a maid in my house. But we'll see about this one.

The one thing I am looking forward to about our house is the area. There is so much space left over that we could easily build another small cottage behind the garage and another one in front of our house. So I told Shook we could add his own little workshop behind the garage and maybe a fountain or a pond in front. The rest of the back of the house will have to accommodate an outdoor barbecue pit.

Shook's friend Raymond has agreed to help us do landscaping because Shook told him I wanted a Balinese-style garden. He'll also help arrange for maintenance since I am the only person I know who can kill cacti. So plants and flowers are way out of my league.

Shook and I are also looking into security and I've long decided that our house has windows in all the strategic places, making it so easy to pick off intruders one by one from any window in the house. Perimeter plants will be specifically chosen to make any intruders very uncomfortable or in a lot of pain.

And once the house is completed and we've moved in, we'll have a makan selamat for family and relatives. But, after that, we're going to arrange a huge party for our friends only. Maybe the Christmas gathering this year could be at our house this time.

I find this whole process almost exciting. It's like playing The Sims 2 except I have no money cheat. The colours of the walls, the tiles, the furniture and general interior decor. Then again I was never one for big dreams and big possessions so I'm quite sure we can afford a lot of things that we want. I'm basically a person with simple tastes. It's just sad that everything just seems so expensive nowadays. Only a fool would want to try and aim for something outside their means in this day and age. But Shook would be working and earning enough for us by the time we think of adding more things to the house anyway.

Hmmm....maybe I should get Shah to go with me to our house and see what he says about decorating the place.

See? At times like this, one should treasure their friends since you never know when you need their help. I pity those who either have no friends or don't know how to treasure them.

And, on top of this, my dad is still holding us to his promise to send us on a honeymoon to Europe and Istanbul. All this even after an elaborate engagement and a huge wedding. I know I helped contribute about RM45,000 for my wedding. It was part of the money my dad gave me a few years ago. Weddings aren't cheap nowadays. If left to me and Shook, our marriage would have taken place at Majlis Islam and then a small lunch or dinner at Sarawak Club because that would be what we could afford on our own. Even with money I won't go near Merdeka Palace. One thing I know from experience is that Merdeka Palace cuts your throat. They are overly pricey but the food and service sucks like crap. And I know that if you need to ask them how much their prices are, chances are you cannot afford it. I know this because I've arranged corporate and school dinners there.

At the end of the day, weddings aren't about the setting. It's about the couple getting married. I know that as soon as Shook and I were married, I was more than willing to skip the whole reception and then the bersanding. I know it was too late by then but, all I wanted was to marry this guy. I didn't care about any silly dinner or reception or showing off. I didn't even care if the Governor or the Chief Minister was there. Although the Chief Minister, who had to attend another function that same night, later told his wife that he should have gone to our dinner instead.

I did remember asking Shook the evening before the reception if we could just elope then. I really just wanted to lie down and sleep and be with him. Not be at a dinner which I know I wouldn't be able to enjoy.

I know. I know. We have a whole lifetime of it. But like everything in life, we all try our hardest at the beginning of something then we tend to become complacent later.

And, oh, my dad bought us a new phone each. By us, I mean, my two sisters, myself and even Shook. And as usual, I got the simplest one because I don't need anything for more than messaging and calling. I have an iPod, a camera and a PDA. Why would I need a phone that has all those functions as well? Such a waste of money then.

And I'm the daughter of parents who can afford things. Sometimes even I don't ask for things if it's too expensive. See how I think? Sometimes I wonder why people who cannot afford things want to have such big, expensive dreams. It seems so white trash Malaysian style. If you can't afford, you can't afford. Live within your means. I'm not going to apologise for having parents who can buy me things but I will feel sorry for parents who cannot afford but have white trash children who want to show off as if they can. Get real!

Before I digress further, our house is in what my dad calls an exclusive area. In fact, ours is the smallest house there. It'll definitely have the poorest residents. Everyone else is a VIP or rich.

But I love that house. It's enough to make me consider quitting my job, taking up my writing again and opening a small family business. Then I can also stay home and be a wife and mother.

Hey, this is my reality. And I like it. Like I've always said, I aim never to do anything I might regret later. With Shook by my side, I know I'll make the right decisions since he never lets me decide on anything which he thinks I might regret later either.

Comments (0)