I went to watch Mr and Mrs Smith last night with Shook, Mac, Jerome and Jerome's two cousins.

The movie was good. It was good, honest fun. I wouldn't call it mindless really because most people would need to concentrate on the conversation to get the jokes. There were times when we were laughing at the rather subtle looks or words spoken but the rest of the audience didn't seem to share the fun.

After the movie, we all stood at the balcony of Star Cineplex to decide where to go and have dinner. While out there, I took one look at the Mr and Mrs Smith movie poster and told Shook that I wanted it. Well, it was partly my fault that I didn't specify what it was I wanted because he actually began to describe the guns that were on the poster and then proceeded to give me the price range of those guns. This is so typical of fun that I just had to laugh. His sense of humour can be so appealing at times. I say 'at times' because I know of a few flighty people who don't understand and can't take Shook's sense of humour.

We ended up at Great Kitchen for dinner and spent the rest of the night reminiscing about old times. Now we're not all that old really but we've been through so much that when we do talk about those times, we could only call them the good old times. With us, age was never an issue. Jerome was the youngest of the guys sitting there last night but even he had his fair share of great times to talk about. As usual, they talked about the fun they had playing various multi-player shooting games. I've heard the stories before but like all good stories, they get better the more times I listen to them and still as much fun to laugh about.

Last night was one of the most relaxing nights I've had in a long while. Whenever the guys start to talk about their game experiences (like Art getting airsick being Shook's door gunner or Herbert doing his room clearing), they always have so much fun that it seems so real. The first time I heard them talk about the times, I actually almost believed they were in the situations they talked of in real life and not just in a game.

Last night was a very good night. We should do that more often. No kids, no bashing, no laughing at other people, no criticisms, no pouting, no scowling. Just plain great fun.

And why did I bring age into the whole introspective thing? It's because I always believe that biological age never matters. What matters more is mental age, maturity and our own abilities to deal with real life. Along that vein, I'm 32, Shook's 31, Mac's 32 (a few months younger than I am) and Jerome's 20 something but sometimes I do believe Jerome has adequately caught up with us in terms of maturity and being rational. We know of some 30 plus year olds who still use past pains as an excuse for behaving childishly. What's up with that?! I used to do that when I was in my 20s and craved attention. Then I got sick of myself and bored with my own behaviour especially after I realised how I ruined a lot of friendships that way. So I stopped and decided to take control of my own life. So maturity does come with age but only if we're willing to do it. After all, words are just words until we back them up with appropriate action.

Comments (0)