Some time ago, I was intrigued by a new shampoo from Rejoice. It's called Fruity with the tagline of Smooth. If you watch the advertisement on TV, you're never quite sure what the shampoo is all about. At least for me. For all I know, it could be just some shampoo with a fruity scent.

The ad was also quite generic. It starts out with this girl whose mother is helping her with her silky smooth hair. Then the girl goes out and the parents look disappointed because she's forgotten their anniversary. When she gets them to the restaurant, she reveals to them that her surprise is for them on their anniversary. All the while, the focus is on her silky straight smooth hair.

This commercial is generic because every shampoo seems to be advertising silky, smooth, straight hair.

It was only after I bought the shampoo that I found out that it's for unruly/ flyaway hair. When I tried looking for it online, I found out that in China, the shampoo is called Rejoice Fruity Anti-Frizz Shampoo. Now why couldn't we have just used that name and not tried to be too creative about it? At the end of the day, we've achieved nothing more than a passing glance from consumers. What's wrong with advertising anti-frizz shampoo when everyone is advertising straightening shampoo? It makes it different so therefore worthy of attention.

I don't get it!

And, by the way, with my wavy, unruly hair that makes me look like everyday is a bad hair day, this Rejoice shampoo works quite well. My hair is actually manageable. It actually works better than Sunsilk, which I do admit is good but I get weirded out by the girls smiling at me in the bathroom. I actually turn the bottles around. Can a shampoo be any more feminist? And I don't use Dove because it makes my hair too oily which makes it heavy and flat.

So, I alternate now between the girly shampoo and the fruity one - one for its mildness and the other for the anti-frizz

Comments (0)