I had a rather morbid lunch. It's a good thing that I can be rather non-squeamish at times.

Last night, my sister bought me some fried rice with salted fish, which I brought to work for lunch today. While I was eating, I came upon a piece of salted fish. The logical part of recognised the sliced salted fish for what it was despite the fact that it was little on the pale side. The morbid part of me wondered if it was a gecko.

That's right. It looked a lot like a gecko had fallen into the pan while the fried rice was being fried. It looked all mashed up and soft with a white underside and a speckled topside. The only thing missing was a tail and the rounded head. I even took a closer look and it looked a bit like part of the gecko's head. I was looking for eyes and feet just to see if it might have really been a gecko.

But there were none and the piece was obviously a sliced off part of a fried fish. So I was fine. All I did to stop myself from throwing up was throw the piece away. It didn't stop me from eating the rice, though.

But, typical of a Malay eating place, the portions are illogically huge. It makes me wonder how people can eat so much. Even when I've not eaten all day, I still only eat a small portion once I do eat. And everyone knows it's a weight watchers nightmare to justify eating more by saying that it's to make up for a meal missed. There's no such logic to it. I read this somewhere but I can't remember which site I read it at. It was either diets.com or the online Glee magazine subscription I get.

Comments (0)