I love road trips. I began loving them while I was in the US and my friends and I travelled everywhere by road. Og course, there were many 'rich' Malaysians who chose to fly everywhere but we drove. We saw more and got exposed to the American life at the same time.

We once drove into a town and stayed long enough to see a circular raibow in the sky and watched a little parade go through town. Considering taht it only takes a person 15 minutes to walk around the entire town, it was quaint parade.

Anyway, I flew into Bintulu on Friday evening and met Shook's friend Alam for the first time. Nice guy, very quiet. Rather withdrawn and trying so hard not to enjoy himself. Shook and I stayed at the Regency hotel. Across the road from the hotel was Demak motorcycle shop, which made me feel better about Bintulu somehow.

The next day, Saturday, Shook drove us to Miri. I figured I mgiht as well got to know the road he and another friend Sonnie got stranded on. Shook kept commenting about how Sarawak was like Texas. Instead of wheat fields, you see acres and acres of palm trees. And when you do get to a clearing, it's all dried up and flat beige-coloured area like a desert.



The picture on top is the one I tried to take of the weird roundabout as we were going to Miri and the one on the bottom is one I took as we were heading back to Bintulu. See how pointless it is?

Anyway, I got gleeful about two things on the way. One, we have a Kampung Iran. So weird. Two, we have the oddest roundabout ever created. It's odd and pointless. I really would like to talk to the engineer who designed it and listen to his justification for wasting our money on it. What are the odds that we asked federal government for money for this and the State wastes it on a pointless roundabout in the middle of nowhere?


And we have cattle crossing, just like in Texas!!

Comments (0)