I was almost done with my dance lesson on Tursday night when we head a scream come from the stairs leading up to the center where the classes are held.

I'm never one to hurry towards anything when there are so many people doing the same so I just stood back and listened. One of the girls who was either coming in or going out had her phone snatched from right out of her hands. She was busy smsing at the time so she was not very aware of what was going on around her.

When she and some friends wanted to report this at the nearby police kiosk, they found the place shut tight and empty. Apparently, crime waits for nobody but the police only operate certain hours. Ironic!

When I told Shook, he gave me a bit of a lecture. He has always been warning me to be more aware of what was going on around me to avoid just such an incident from happening to me. This episode just served to support his arguments. And being the dear that he is, he spent most of this evening showing me manuals and video clips he found on being aware enough of one's surroundings to avoid being a victim.

Anyway, just to list a few of the tips in one of his manuals:
1) Don't sit in your vehicles doing things - the logic here is probably that someone could force you to let them in or force you to get out of your vehicle.

2) Take your keys out in well-lit or safe areas and don't wait until you get to your car - I suppose anyone could hold you at gunpoint or knifepoint and hijack your car and/or kidnap you.

3) Even if you are on the phone, keep being aware of your surroundings.

Those are 3 that I could remember. I need to ask him for the rest. There is a section that actually showed what to do if you think you're being followed while walking back to your car. That was interesting.

Anyway, I suppose this is why our parents get antsy when we go out late at night. It's worst if your parents have vivid imaginations or fatalistic views like mine. It doesn't help that my dad used to be a policeman and he knows how dangerous it is out there.

Girls get victimised because they make it so easy. And guys do fall victim, too.

Just be very careful out there...especially if you tend to go out to areas that are open until very late and the areas are not very secure.

Comments (0)