My school gave us a long weekend after the Sports meet on Friday. So, knowing this, I flew off to Bintulu for the weekend and came back only yesterday.

Whenever I mention Bintulu to anyone here, they grimace and ask 'What's in Bintulu?' really distastefully. To which I will reply as innocently as I can 'My husband.', which I hope conveys the message of 'You're not thinking very well, are you?'.

When I got there, Shook told me the Bintulu Regatta was on. Now, I'm not a big fan of anything like this. I aways thought, and knew, it was an excuse for people to be out and be seen. Girls go to see guys and show off and guys go to see girls and show off. This was most evident when I saw a girl dressed to the nines and even wearing black stockings. Why was I horrified? This was because the sun was shining very brightly and it was HOT! The heat pricked my skin. That's how hot it was. But then again, this being a small town, I figured what else did the people have to do anyway?

And, being Bintulu and therefore there was nothing else to do, Shook and I strolled around the esplanade where the regatta was held. We saw some interesting things but I wasn't impressed enough to buy anything.

Anyway, I went all the way there to see Shook, which meant I didn't care what I did. I could have been cooped up in the room all day and I would have been happy. But as it was, we went to watch Hellboy 2.

I thought it was more interesting than the first one. Observe how I'm not raving about it. Doesn't mean I thought it was bad. I'm just not willing to be one of those people who seem to consider every movie they watch as the best one yet and it is awesome and kicks ass!

It was a good movie. The bad guy, Prince Nuada, and kin reminded me a lot of the Silvanesti elves from the Dragonlance series. He also looks a lot like the elves on the cover of Michael Moorcock books. Anyway, I thought he was kinda hot for a bad guy but I kept mum because there was something about him that looked painfully familiar. Then when we got back to our room, Shook did a search and found that Prince Nuada is played by Luke Goss. I was almost horrified. I came from the Bros era and the thought of me finding Luke Goss hot was...scary.

Then there was the sister to Prince Nuada and she was Princess Nuala. I thought she looked like Calista Flockhart but her voice was different. Of course, it wasn't her.

I'd watch this movie again although I won't pay to watch it again. It's one of those movies that's just there for entertainment sake and it worked for entertainment sake. I did enjoy it although I had to stop myself from making comments to Shook throughout the movie. There was a quote from prince Nuada where he said "I will call upon the help of all the children of the earth! The good... the bad..." and before he finished his sentence, I said 'The ugly". Of course, he said 'The worst.' but it was just too cliche for me at that moment.

I tried to talk Shook into watching Wanted with me. He had gone last week which I was rather annoyed about. He was willing to go watch it again at my behest but I didn't push the issue and I'm not selfish enough to make him go watch it again.

So I went to watch it yesterday instead after I got back from Bintulu. Turns out it was another of those movies where you have to leave your brain at the door and just watch for fun. I loved the chase scenes and the shooting scenes. I even loved the guns and the bullets. I did wonder how much of Angelina Jolie's tattoos were her own and how many were brushed on. I do want the gun she used though. And then, just as I was wondering at the loopholes in the plot, the movies covers them all up at the end. So, overall, I'd watch it again but, again, I just won't pay to do so.

I was tempted to go watch Hancock but I discovered that the more I watched the trailer, the more annoyed I got with the movie. I can't explain it. Kind of like my reaction to Get Smart. I always thought the series was dumb and goodness knows I can't stand Steve Carell. So I figured I'd wait for both movies to either get to HBO or for my sisters to buy the DVDs.

Other than that, I had a great weekend. I wish the break was longer then I could have stayed there longer. It's not the place but the person I went to see. Bintulu is a nice small town where everyone moves at half the pace people move here in Kuching. People there still smile at you and say 'sorry' and 'thank you'. The Malays still cook Malay style food and not try to copy Chinese style of cooking. It's just nice to visit and chill out at. But I'd go mental if I had to stay there too long.

So I don't envy Shook being stuck there but I do think he does have his share of fun, like he did last night. I still shake my head at it. But I'd still rather he was at home with me.

Comments (0)