I met a guy tonight. He's very nice and he works/studies (?) in Australia. He's also Chinese with an uncharacteristically great sense of humour. He's got a nice body (Okay, so I was looking! So sue me!). It was one of those look-great-in-blue-jeans-and-white-shirt nice bodies.

Anyway, after he sat through some speeches and had to sit through my workshop speech, he came up to me and said he loved my speech. Then he asked me if I ever considered going into stand-up comedy. He even suggested I should participate in the Fringe Festival.

I can give speeches, I can talk, I can criticise, I can be caustic. But the last thing I ever saw myself as was a stand-up comedian. Then this guy I have never met before tells me I should join a worldwide festival that he describes as 'rolling on the floor, tears from your eyes style comedy'.

Even throughout talking to me, he said I was funny. When I claimed I was not funny, he said the good ones never do claim to be funny. They just are.

I was torn between WTF and 'Wow! I'm good!'

It didn't help that everyone told me my speech is the best they've ever heard despite it being the same notes and materials used by many before me.

It's a good end to a depressing day.

Comments (0)