While waiting for Reign of Fire on TV3, I was stuck watching a local soap opera called Sembilu Kasih. This show is made by the same guy who did all the Sembilu series and movies.

As luck would have it, this episode happened to deal with a newly married woman's jealousy. As always there were two sides to the story. On one hand, the husband is a music composer who is on a touring promotion with the singer he writes music for. I fail to see why a composer has to join the tour but, let's just say the scriptwriter has taken some poetic license on this. Now, the composer husband happens to be rather good-looking (if you like men like that!) and the singer happens to have the hots for him. How hot? She gets jealous when he's on the phone with his new wife!

Now, on the other hand, the wife is the daughter of this multi-millionaire developer. I think he's a developer because he was taking about a construction plan with his son at breakfast. Now, the wife once tried to call the husband who is in Johor. She tried all day but he didn't answer. When he did finally call her, he explained that his phone had broken after he dropped it earlier. Somehow, the wife found out that he was using the singer's phone, which the singer had loaned to him since she has two phones.

To clarify, I have been in situations where I have tried to call Shook all day. Sometimes, he doesn't answer or reply my calls or sms. When I do get a hold of him finally, rationale dictates that I be calm and maybe not even bother asking why he didn't reply or answer. In fact, I'm usually relieved he even picks up the phone. So nobody can say I don't understand. Rationale also dictates that if I happen to hear a female voice or he calls using a number I do not recognise, I should ask first. See what he has to say.

The wife in the show went berserk. She started yelling at her husband, accusing him of infidelity and not once did she allow him the chance to explain. She even ignores his calls that night and the next day. In fact, she walked around with a sulky look and everyone knew she was in a bad mood, even at work. Then she told her secretary she was not receiving any calls all day, which is not very professional if you're running a business.

I know anger. If there is one thing I know well, it is anger and betrayal. I have a temper to match anybody's I know. I can give yell for yell, scream for scream, slam for slam if I have to. I will stand and fight and get physical if I'm angry enough. I've been betrayed enough to know it when it hits me in the face or when it's coming at me. Because of these, I know that I never, ever want to say or do anything I might regret later. I will fight but I'm calm enough to know that I can never take back whatever I've said in anger. And the one thing I have always, always tried to do is never, ever regret anything I have ever done or any choices I have ever made. Which is why I'm careful with my choices.

And also, the wife hung onto her anger for at least 24 hours. If you love someone enough, you can be unselfish enough to see what they have to say. I cried when I was betrayed but I didn't get angry. I avoided the one who betrayed me but I never penalised his friends or made them choose since they were also my friends.

In addition, I can almost envision dozens of young, impressionable, silly girls who now think that it is perfectly fine to be irrational and overreact when dealing with life. That it's all right to scream and yell and accuse and feel wronged without finding out the truth.

Ever wondered why some girls act the way they do? It's because they believe they have a right to do so. They follow fashion and hype so much they forget to be logical. Worst of all, they believe everything they watch on TV to be true. This is why guys don't understand us. This is why we seldom seem to talk the same language.

And we think guys are confusing? At least, their lack of logic has a perverse rationale to it. Ours are too emotional and defies all laws of logic. But that woman in Sembilu? Really annoys me. Gives all females a bad name.

Comments (0)