It is only the second week of school and already I'm tired. Ironically, the fatigue is not from work but from my extra-curricular activities.

I am the vice-presidenf of my secondary school alumni. At the same time, I'm also the secreatry of my toastmasters club.

Both tire me out because both either have a self-righteous committee member or people who seem to believe they work more than I do because I am only a lowly teacher. I am lowly paid but it's not an easy job. There's a difference.

One association has members who can't and won't move unless I push them constantly. And their excuses usually run along the lines of either 'You young people got more energy and time' or 'Your work hours are not as long as mine. Besides, you get holidays.'

Then the other association is full of self-righteous people who don't do their part yet criticises other people for not doing much. Then some of them decide to prove how self-sacrificing they are by joining 101 associations and then saying they can do it so why can't we? Hello! I have a life! Unlike you, you loser!

And I've told both sets of people that when school starts, I am more likely to be mentally and physically drained. So don't expect me to be in top form when I spend the night before already planning the next day!

But do they listen? No! The self-righteous go deaf and more self-righteous while the other continues to criticise.

This is the disease of Malaysia right now. People have been conditioned to expect things to be done for them. When they try to do something on their own, they get shot down. On the other hand, those who find that they can't get things done unless they do it themselves, end up doing everything while someone else gets credit.

Either way, nobody but the leeches win. And people wonder why depression and obesity are becoming major problems here.

On a final note, I am quitting both associations this year because I can't stand it anymore. I'm walking away while I'm still sane and Shook has not dumped me for complaining so much!

Comments (0)