A few years ago, my Norwegian cousin (who is really my niece but they seem to use the word 'cousin' a lot) came to Kuching. She was really fun to be with but I couldn't spend much time with her as I was working.

But I did manage to take her out for drinks once and Mac joined us.

Anyway, I kept promising him pictures but never got round to them until now. Why now? Well, I just got an email saying that she's coming to Kuching again next April and this time, with more cousins and aunts and uncles.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

To help you out, my cousin, Mari, is the blonde girl standing behind the small boy.


The picture is not very clear because I had to scan it. My parents went to Oslo some years back and managed to catch up with them while they were there.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

These are my other cousins. I think my dark-haired cousin, Ina, is really pretty. I used to keep in touch with my other cousin, Irene, (the blonde girl on Ina's right) but we lost touch when we both went off to college.


Before any of you get cynical and claim that we're related by marriage, I'll have to explain that our Great (don't know how many times) Grandfather sailed to Norway with his Norwegian wife and stayed there for good. So we're related by blood. So, before you look down at me because I have no white skin or blonde hair or blue eyes, take a look in the mirror first. Also, I probably have more orang putih blood than some people we all know. And we thought Hitler was dead!!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Oh, this is the ship he sailed to Norway in. She was pregnant when they on board and the child walked off the ship by himself (or was it herself?) by the time they reached Norway. I'll be more certain of the history when school holidays get here because I'm using my holidays to complete my research on my ancestors.

Part of the research is to find out about my ancestor who was the Treasurer or Secretary to one of the Rajah Brookes. This is all on my mother's side. What's funny is that if my parents had been alive then, they would have been like Romeo and Juliet because at the same time, my father's ancestors were leading the revolution against the Brookes. Remember Sharif Masahor? Well, my relative. Which also connected us to the Kings of Pontianak. My granduncle living in Matang now is the direct descendant of the Pontianak rulers. When my father went to Pontianak the last time, the Pehin there offered him the throne too. Haha! Taking into consideration my fascination with vampires, I am not surprised!

My mom's side has the British, Norwegians, South Africans, Chinese, Portuguese and Melanaus. My dad's side has the Arabs, Moroccans, a few Bedouins here and there, Malay and a few Melanaus here and there too. The Melanau bits on my mom's side is nearer than on my dad's. I really should ask Shook's parents one day if they know of a lady called Nek Kandang or, her Muslim name, Hajah Fatimah. My relatives have hilarious names.

Anyway, yeah, my relatives on my mother's side will be invading Kuching April next year. We call it the Inaugural Mowe Convention. The Norwegians pronounce it Mo-vay and not Mao like we do.

Comments (0)