Last night, a few of us were at the Crib to say goodbye to the place.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com Purple passion Image hosted by Photobucket.com Blue oasis

Two days ago, we got word that Raymond, who looked like he had been running the place solely on his own, was closing the Crib down and having a final night for it on 30th September.

So, last night, I left everything I had to do or attend to and headed out to the Crib. And for the first time, we had what can only be considered a huge party until 4 a.m. During which time, the place was so packed that I didn't have a place to sit. I sat with Kenny in the VIP area to counsel him on his problems then when we were done, I went to the kitchen to help wash dishes. Considering that I always enjoy washing dishes and usually do it to calm myself and to ponder on some issues, I felt this time was no exception.

Throughout the night, while washing dishes, I got to know a lot of people, and watched while Aaron and Raymond were overcome by their emotions. Aaron could not get over the fact that I was helping out and still be the paying customer. And since Raymond said he could never repay me for helping them out last night (considering the fact that they have been understaffed for quite a while), Aaron decided payment would come in the form of very brotherly pecks on the cheeks and a huge hug. I've know Aaron for close to 15 years. In fact, I've known Aaron longer than I've known all the guys I hang around with! I also told them, that if they stayed open, I was planning on volunteering there during the school holidays. Better than doing nothing, it would be like working and hanging out with friends at the same time!

Image hosted by Photobucket.comPeeping Rin

By the time 4 a.m. rolled by, I was feeling sorry for Raymond and Jamie (his soon-to-be wife,we all hope). Jamie was yawning away from sheer exhaustion and Raymond had blood-shot eyes. He was just plain sad in addition to being tired. When I spoke to him, I knew he was a great businessman in the making. He told me that when they first started the business, he knew he would have to forego any and all possible vacations and holidays for the next 2 - 5 years. And I agree with him. In a typical textbook situation, no business can make a profit within the first 5- 8 years of operation. The only business that can do that is the education business. So if you want quick and easy money, open a good tuition center and you'll be rich fairly quickly - within 8 months. But don't do this if you're egoistic, refuse to take advice and would make a crap teacher.

Business has never been about self-centredness or ego or arrogance. You lose customers that way. Business has always been about passion and teamwork. Watch the Apprentice if you don't believe me.

Image hosted by Photobucket.comLast crew standing

But Raymond has all the good qualities of a businessman. Not only for his passion but also for his professionalism. The fact that he makes a good friend is a bonus for the lot of us who really, honestly care for the Crib.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Like these insane people who should not be doing this but they are. Rin calls them the "Muslims Behaving Badly/Muslims Gone Wild". Nick there is the exception, of course.

Update: As of midnight tonight, I have received 3 sms-es from people who were horrified to find out that the Crib had closed down and were yelling for it to come back. I just hope some people don't get greedy thinking of the huge success Crib was last night. The Crib already has a lot of regulars. It's not only due to the connections but also the atmosphere and the management.

Comments (0)