Remember how I said that when my brain is relaxed I dream a lot? Well, it's an average of a dream remembered per day/night.

Last night, I dreamt that we had fully evolved to a paperless society. No cash, no newspapers, no books! No papers anywhere at all. (Never did get round to finding out what they had instead of toilet paper)

It seemed that Man had used almost all the trees to a dangerous point just to make more paper. (Yep, we didn't take recycling seriously. And no, I'm no tree hugger or an advocate of recycling!) But the fact remained in the dream that anyone found with paper in any form would be caught and sentenced or fined. The only people allowed to have contact with paper were the Archivists.

Anyway, in the dream, I think my family and I were the ultimate paper criminals. We had an underground library full of books. We kept our things in *gasp* cardboard boxes.

Well, one day, 'I' came across a book; a children's fantasy book about children who went through a cupboard and ended up in an alternate universe. (Yeah, I've been thinking about Narnia a lot) However, this book was written entirely in poem form, not in prose. And while reading the stanzas aloud, I came across one which transported me to an alternate universe where paper was still a part of society. The society was rather like ours today except they put a lot more importance on education and hygiene. The leaders of the communities were Wise People where each community had a massive building as a library. Paper, as in books and educational pieces, were treasured but shared with everyone. This society had a healthy blend of mysticism and technology. They understood the importance of technology but they also took care of the Old Ways. (It was like Lord Of The Rings meets Serenity)

The stanza I read continued to transport me and my family back and forth between universes. We moved all our books and other property to the other universe before finally moving ourselves, never to return to our own universe. The move took so long that a baby was born to the family but for the life of me, I don't know whose baby it was. She was so cute and chubby and so happy all the time. She had very light brown hair and reminded me of someone but I couldn't figure out who!

Well, on our last run, we were getting a little concerned because the Authorities were getting too close. Either someone suspected something or we were betrayed, we didn't know. But on that same run, we found out that all the copies of the children's fantasy book was already at the other universe. Except for my copy. I was opening up my box to find it when I heard a voice asking me what I was doing. When I looked up, a policeman (?) stood before me. He saw the book and lifted his weapon at me. I remember glancing at the page, looking for the stanza that would take me away yet wondering whether I'd have enough time to read it out.

When I began reading it, he told me to stop and warned me he'd take action. He took a shot at me as I was reading the last line in the stanza and everything went black.

Then I woke up!

Comments (0)