Yesterday, I was so frustrated and annoyed and generally easily irritated that I just felt like biting my arm off just to find something to do!

So today, to prevent the same feelings from arising, I decided to go watch Zathura. I also knew my youngest sister wanted to go watch it so I brought her along.

The movie just reinforces my opinion that one should NEVER read the book before going to watch the movie. Not only did I know what was going to happen before it did, I also got bored watching it!

The storyline is very similar to Jumanji except it's in space. {Duh! We all knew that}

The movie soundtrack was a bit off because it sounded like a tape that had been played way too many times. The introduction to the movie brought back memories of Lost In Space of the 1970s. I liked that bit. I also liked how the game was played. In Jumanji {and it is difficult not to compare the two movies} the instructions came from the reflecting glass in the middle of the game. In Zathura, it's the old-style card-popping-out-of-the-machine. Very, very old-style.

Overall, I preferred Jumanji because the story is better written. All the possible questions are answered. As an audience, you never quite know what was going to happen next. You're not even sure when the next threat will come along. You know it's there but what it was, was always a mystery.

In Zathura, the threats were apparent all the time. It's always the Zorgons. The two boys who played Danny and Walter (What an old name!) were superb as brothers who were too close in age and too caught up in their own pain to notice what was going on around them. I also felt the role of Lisa was not fully developed,as if she merely provided the female role bits.

There were a lot of questions left unanswered by the movie. Then again, I figured this was only a children's drama, anyway, so I shouldn't expect too much out of it. But I have to add that Tim Robbins was great as the father, although the only credit he got was as 'Dad' and Tim Robbins is just a great actor no matter where you put him anyway.

Some reviews said Zathura was better than Jumanji. I think otherwise.

But don't take my word for it. Go watch it yourself.

Comments (0)