A lot of times, the conversations that I have with Shook, Mac and Rin arise from our disdain of someone or our heartless laughter of people.

The other day, we were talking about people in general. Then the conversation went to some people we know, which sparked off the conversation about trophy girlfriends/wives/husbands. Well, more of trophy wives and girlfriends. We don't know anyone rich enough to have a trophy husband or boyfriend. Yet.

Anyway, Rin and I could not decide whether to pity or to jeer at guys who go out and find a girlfriend/wife just for the sake of it all. Well, you know how in secondary school, some people seem to have this thought in their heads that if they don't have a boyfriend or a girlfriend then they're not cool or not part of the group? Or when they do have a girlfriend or a boyfriend, they need to show them off as if they were a prize to be won or something like that?

To me, personally, that's so juvenile. Children do that, hence the 'my daddy is bigger than your daddy.' In some people's case, it's 'I have a girlfriend/boyfriend. I'm cool/I'm one of you.' or 'I have a boyfriend/girlfriend. You don't have one.' Juvenile. That's all there is to it.

There is nothing wrong in being single. Hey, it beats being in a relationship that sucks, right? If I was still single, I'd stick to my plan of moving to another country to work. Actually, my plan was to move to Bali, buy a ranch with a pool, fill the ranch with cats and horses and have an affair with either the pool boy or some gorgeous toyboy over the weekend. I was not in it alone, though. A friend of mine, Yati, was supposed to join me.

My point is, if you're going to have a relationship, make sure it's all for the right reasons. If you're doing it to show off, for goodness sake, think of the other person's feelings for once. If it's for sex, go buy it if you're so desperate. If it's to fit in, my advice is it's never gonna work so you might as well forget it. Most people can detect a sucker or a suck-up a mile away.

And let's face it. We're not rich enough to afford a trophy boyfriend/girlfriend/husband/wife. So we might as well do it the old fashion way and get a boyfriend/girlfriend/husband/wife for love or the honest-to-goodness companionship. Let's be honest with ourselves for a few minutes, shall we?

Comments (0)