After much delay and laziness on my part, I finally decided to go watch Transformers yesterday. I was half-tempted to wait for it on DVD but then I remembered that this is a Michael Bay movie. And Michael Bay movies requires at least one watching on the big screen. So, since my youngest sister expressed an interest in the movie as well, I grabbed her along and we went.

The movie is seriously for the fans. Only fans would notice the little hints and such throughout the movie. The one that jumped out at me first of all was the yellow Beetle next to the Bumblebee Camaro in the car dealership parking lot. Here is when I started grinning. Every fan knows Bumblebee is originally a yellow Beetle.

And, of course, I squeed when Optimus Prime came out. I can't help it. Some people might assume that I like trucks (or semis, as Americans say it) because of Prime. However, the truth is in reverse. I was only about 7 years old when my grandfather bought me a big metal truck from Singapore. The truck was green with a long trailer behind which I could unhinge and it even came with plastic cars. The cars have long since disappeared, thanks to various annoying cousins and uncles. But I still have the truck which I hope to restore one day. But, that truck spurred my love for trucks. So when I first watched Transformers on tv in the mid-1980s, I was hooked on Optimus Prime. It didn't help that he had such a deep voice which I still love.

When I first heard that Optimus Prime will have lips in the 2007 movie, I was a bit bothered by it. Prime does not have lips and does not need lips. No matter what some people might say to justify it, he just does not look 'right' with lips.

I did notice some things in the movie that made me sit up and go 'Eh?'

One, was the fact that after more than a century of being frozen, how did Megatron get the specs to transform into a jet? The Transformers need to scan a vehicle or anything before they could take on the 'look'.

Two, I thought the deepest section of the ocean was the Marianas Trench. Or is that part of the Laurentian Abyss as well? I'm lost now.

There were others but I've forgotten what they are. However, I did get gleeful at the Armageddon references, the My Little Pony doll and the Furby truck. I thought it was just hilarious. It's like a cartoon network attack.

Oh, and of course, I cried. When Optimus told Sam that if he (Optimus) failed to stop Megatron, Sam was to shove the Cube deep within Optimus's chest so that he may sacrifice himself. I started sniffing then. I mean, really, I've watched Optimus die before in the cartoon. I was not prepared to watch him die again in live action. Although I got some spoilers on who died, I conveniently forgot so that I would not be affected when I watched the movie. However, while watching it, I kept wondering 'Who did Gette and Rin said die in this movie again?'.

And the fact that the movie started with Optimus Prime talking and ended with him talking is just a squee overload for me. But I do have to admit that I found his looking-out-into-the-sunset scene a bit cheesey. However, it is based on an 80s cartoon so I can forgive the cheesiness.

I'm not sure I'm willing to watch it on the big screen again but I will buy the DVD when it comes out. I've already got the game which I can now play since I've watched the movie. The guy who sold it to me said I would find the game easier if I watched the movie first. So, tonight, I will be Bumblebee trying to kill stupid Decepticon drones. Yay!

Oh, one thing about watching this movie. One woman in the audience actually fell asleep!! And the only girls who were there without guys were my sister and myself.

Comments (0)