There are times when I've wondered if my job is worth it. I know I hardly ever bitch about it. That's because I generally love my work. Sometimes, it's the people that I need to deal with that makes it crappy.

But today, my work and energy that goes into it became all worth it. It was literally awesome. I am appreciated and it makes everything so much more meaningful.

I have single-handedly worked on the annual school yearbook or school magazine for the past 3 years. Some colleagues have said they'll help but when it came to the grunt work, they all conveniently disappeared saying they're busy. So, for 3 years, I've stayed quiet and I bore the burden alone. They complain and bitch about me behind my back about how grumpy and caustic I get when I'm working on it. Can you blame me? I lose sleep for the magazine! And I do everything and they still get the thanks as well.

Today, my new deputy Principal called me into his office. I thought I might have done something wrong or forgot to do something because he sounded so serious. As soon as I walked into his office, he made me sit down. I was so sure that I was done for then. Instead, he picked up the magazine and asked if it is true that I single-handedly worked on the magazine. I answered truthfully that I did. He then asked a whole lot of questions which I answered to the best of my knowledge. And when he asked why I did everything on my home computer insetad of at school where it should be done, I told him I always got the lousy computers that cannot carry the heavy load of desktop publishing.

That's when he just looked at me and said, "I'm in awe of you. I just cannot believe how one person can do this much work and not go crazy."

I just looked at him and said it was my job and I did it the best way I knew how. Then he admitted he's done that sort of work before and knew how much work it is. That's why he left it early in his career. He still couldn't believe I did it but he said this year he is going to help me. He also said he's going to help me get a better work computer so that I could work on the magazine at work. And he said he'll talk to our IT teacher to get some information on the software we have at school.

Later, at the staff meeting, he thanked me publicly for doing all that work. He started by asking if everyone knew what that magazine is and how much work goes into it. The way he said it was so funny that I giggled. Then he said that people who try to create a school magazine alone tend to giggle in public for no known reason and act really silly at times. At this point he pointed at me, making sure everyone knew who he was referring to. After basically telling everyone that he has an immense respect for me for doing what I did, he literally shamed everyone for letting me do everything on my own. He immediately announced that he volunteered to help me and anyone who does not volunteer will be volunteered by him.

Before the staff meeting, he told me in a whisper that the IT teacher told him that I never did any of the layout work. I just took everyone's work and pictures and ideas and sent it to the printing company to be put together. He was annoyed. I think that's why he made such a big deal of it at the meeting. I told the Kindergarten coordinator what the IT teacher said and she looked annoyed too. She said 'Just because they do nothing, they think nobody does anything either. I'd be fucking mad at her!'

I told her that I'm just keeping a lid on my anger because there was no point wasting it on a moron anyway.

One thing my deputy Principal, who is also my Secondary and A-Levels coordinator, said to me was 'There are two types of people in this world. Those who do and those who don't. You are one who does, so people just tend to make you keep doing. Those who don't, just sit and wait for things to happen.'

A worthy quote to take you through a good day, don't you think?

Listening to: Standing - Anthony Stewart Head - Once More, With Feeling

Comments (0)